Tablets and the age of comfortable computing
Since their introduction in 2010, tablets have taken the mobile industry by storm, with sales expected to reach 120 million in 2012 alone. Whether novelty or need, tablets are clearly a big and growing part of the mobile device landscape that won’t be going away any time soon. Which begs the question: Now that these shiny new gadgets are finding their way into the world, how are people actually using them? In this talk, Rachel Hinman will share findings from her year-long study of tablet usage as well as provide design implications for designing tablet experiences. She will cover:
- Comfortable Computing: How users are seeking experiences that provide a sense of comfort and connection through tablet devices and how designers can better support these needs.
- Mutual Reconfiguration: The impact environments and social contexts have on tablet usage and how to account for the dynamic nature of the mobile context when designing tablet experiences.
- New Forms of Creation: Collage, curate and animate. How tablet devices are redefining what it means to create in the digital world.
Senior Research Scientist at Nokia Research
Rachel Hinman is a researcher, designer and a recognized thought leader in the mobile user experience field. Her passions for cultural study, art, and design coupled with the belief that people can use technology to improve the human condition have been the driving forces in her career.
Currently, Rachel is a Senior Research Scientist at the Nokia Research Center in Palo Alto, California. There she focuses on the research and design of emergent and experimental mobile interfaces and mobile experiences for emerging markets. Prior to joining Nokia, Rachel was an experience design director at Adaptive Path, and a mobile researcher and strategist for Yahoo's mobile group. Rachel's innate sensitivity to people and culture have proven powerful skills in the field, enabling her to successfully lead research studies on mobile phone usage in the US, Europe, Asia and Africa.
Rachel writes and speaks frequently on the topic of mobile research and design. She is the creative force behind the 90 Mobiles in 90 Days Project and her perspectives on mobile user experience has been featured in Interactions Magazine, BusinessWeek and Wired. She recently wrote a book entitled The Mobile Frontier: A Guide to Creating Mobile User Experience with Rosenfeld Media.
Rachel received a Masters Degree in Design Planning from the Institute of Design in Chicago.
- Bas Evers Content Designer at Informaat
- Birgit Geiberger freelance Creative Director UX at UX Team of Two
- Peter Boersma freelance Interaction Designer and Design Process Consultant at UX Team of Two
- Boon Yew Chew Information Architect at SapientNitro
- Chris Noessel Managing Director at Cooper
- Chrissy Welsh Senior UX/UI designer at Cloud9 IDE
- Claire Rowland Service Design Manager at AlertMe.com
- Dean Janssen Product Designer at Hiro
- Erik Roscam Abbing Founder at Zilver Innovation
- Geke van Dijk Strategy Director at STBY
- Gijs Burgmeijer Interaction Designer at IceMobile
- Koen van Turnhout Lecturer at Hogeschool van Arnhem en Nijmegen
- Sander Leer Lecturer at Hogeschool van Arnhem en Nijmegen
- Emiel Ruis Lecturer at Hogeschool van Arnhem en Nijmegen
- Lane Becker Author at Get Lucky
- Lonneke Spinhof Usability Researcher at Humix
- Marc Fonteijn Creative Director at 31Volts
- Mark Zeh Design and Innovation consultant at Mark Zeh Innovation
- Martin Groen User Experience Consultant at Virtual Affairs
- Miranda de Groot User Experience Lead at Data Solution Group at Reed Business
- Sander de Groot Publishing Director at Data Solution Group at Reed Business
- Peter Boermans CPO & Co-Founder at Olery
- Pieter Jongerius Partner at Fabrique
- Ruben Timmerman Founder & Chief User Experience at Springest
- Paul Veugen Founder & CEO at Usabilla
- Nick Stevens Entrepeneur and Global Facilitator at Startup Weekend
- Susanne van Mulken Senior user experience consultant at Informaat
- Taco Ekkel VP Product Design at ProQuest
- Thijs Vieleers Director Business & Product Development at Funda
- Ruud Martens Managing Director at Independer
- Tjeerd van Zandwijk marketing manager at Zoover & MeteoVista
- Thomas Visser Design researcher at Essense, ID-Studiolab
- Tom Illmensee Director of User Experience at Snagajob
- Bogdan Stanciu Information Architect at Snagajob
- Wouter Sluis-Thiescheffer User Research Consultant at User Intelligence
- Brian Pagán User Experience Consultant at User Intelligence