Tablets and kids: creative opportunities with apps empowering young children
Young children use tablets in ways they do not use mobile phones and computers. We find evidence in developmental theories that touch interfaces and larger screens afford better usability, while tablets’ social nature keeps them accessible to children. Because of that, they have become powerful consumers of digital content.
An increasing number of apps is made for them, but the digital world has far to go in its child-centric offering. App stores have yet to explicitly support searching for children’s apps, and some apps are well-intentioned but misguided in their experience designs.
Interaction styles that begin in gaming often transition into the computing mainstream. This trend will continue, and it gives us one more reason to work with children in a digital environment.
How to proceed? Apps like PizzaBot, a game designed by 12-year-old Harry Moran that briefly ousted Angry Birds from the bestseller spot in the Mac App Store, show that we underestimate kids to our peril. This talk discusses different ways to involve children in the design process, not only as informative users, but also as designers and decision-makers.
User Research Consultant at User Intelligence
Wouter is a User Research Consultant at User Intelligence. He has a background in neuro-linguistics and User System Interaction with children and has been a design researcher on involving children in the design process.
As a consultant, Wouter has worked for small and global enterprises. His activities include the development of conceptual designs, but primarily design research around online desktop and mobile applications. He spends his spare time on race rowing, cycling, sailing, and having a good time with family and friends.
User Experience Consultant at User Intelligence
Brian currently works as a User Experience Consultant for User Intelligence in Amsterdam. He holds an MSc in Industrial Psychology as well as a PDEng in User-System Interaction. His primary interests are Mobile UX, Social Media, Online Strategy, and Service Design.
Pretty much a drama club geek turned psychologist, he got into web and visual design while paying for college. Since then, he has gotten into UX, given a few talks, and travels whenever possible. An ENFP, he loves dancing salsa (still learning), watching old movies, and singing karaoke.
- Bas Evers Content Designer at Informaat
- Birgit Geiberger freelance Creative Director UX at UX Team of Two
- Peter Boersma freelance Interaction Designer and Design Process Consultant at UX Team of Two
- Boon Yew Chew Information Architect at SapientNitro
- Chris Noessel Managing Director at Cooper
- Chrissy Welsh Senior UX/UI designer at Cloud9 IDE
- Claire Rowland Service Design Manager at AlertMe.com
- Dean Janssen Product Designer at Hiro
- Erik Roscam Abbing Founder at Zilver Innovation
- Geke van Dijk Strategy Director at STBY
- Gijs Burgmeijer Interaction Designer at IceMobile
- Koen van Turnhout Lecturer at Hogeschool van Arnhem en Nijmegen
- Sander Leer Lecturer at Hogeschool van Arnhem en Nijmegen
- Emiel Ruis Lecturer at Hogeschool van Arnhem en Nijmegen
- Lane Becker Author at Get Lucky
- Lonneke Spinhof Usability Researcher at Humix
- Marc Fonteijn Creative Director at 31Volts
- Mark Zeh Design and Innovation consultant at Mark Zeh Innovation
- Martin Groen User Experience Consultant at Virtual Affairs
- Miranda de Groot User Experience Lead at Data Solution Group at Reed Business
- Sander de Groot Publishing Director at Data Solution Group at Reed Business
- Peter Boermans CPO & Co-Founder at Olery
- Pieter Jongerius Partner at Fabrique
- Rachel Hinman Senior Research Scientist at Nokia Research
- Ruben Timmerman Founder & Chief User Experience at Springest
- Paul Veugen Founder & CEO at Usabilla
- Nick Stevens Entrepeneur and Global Facilitator at Startup Weekend
- Susanne van Mulken Senior user experience consultant at Informaat
- Taco Ekkel VP Product Design at ProQuest
- Thijs Vieleers Director Business & Product Development at Funda
- Ruud Martens Managing Director at Independer
- Tjeerd van Zandwijk marketing manager at Zoover & MeteoVista
- Thomas Visser Design researcher at Essense, ID-Studiolab
- Tom Illmensee Director of User Experience at Snagajob
- Bogdan Stanciu Information Architect at Snagajob